Followers

13 May 2012

Hand-Dyed Obsession

What does one do when she has been deserted by her stitching mojo? In my case, stash acquisition and stash fondling always help.
Last time, I showed you my HDF silks in a chocolate box. As yummy as that was, alas, my collection has totally outgrown it. So here's my new storage system.
This is actually a plastic file folder that can be found in most bookstores.
Colours make me happy. Yet, that wasn't enough to lure my mojo back. So I moved on to my fabric collection.
Here are my Lakeside Linens.
That is what happens when you join a year's worth of Fabric of the Month Club.
These are neutral linens from various hand-dyed fabric companies.
A couple of Sugar Maple Fabrics and the rest Silkweaver.
Hi, my name is Veronica and I am a stashoholic...
Anyway, I need to clarify that all except two of Silkweaver fabrics were bought before the change of hands to Needleworker's Delights. This is because after they took over, many stitchers, including me have experienced a drop in the quality of their products and customer service.
I've only ordered from them once since the changeover during a free shipping promotion. Never again! (I won't go into how ridiculous their normal overseas shipping charges are.) This was what I got:
Bright solid turquoise with no colour variations. I can't imagine stitching anything on it. This was what I was expecting to get.
I wasn't the only one who encountered this problem either. See TJ's complaint here. With this same order, I had also included a piece of Scattered Leaves. The result?
You gotta be kidding me, right? Both were supposed to be fat quarters - 18" x 27". This piece of Scattered Leaves measures only 15 inches wide. Note how small it is compared to Aegan Aqua.
If you were wondering, no, I didn't report my grievances to Silkweaver. Many before me has done so without any result. What's the point? Well, I'm done with my gripe. Thanks for bearing with me.
*Edited to add: Please see update on Silkweaver here.*
Moving on, here's my May's WiPocalpyse report. I know, I'm so late! A single, lonely stitchy pic of Lilliput Village. Hopefully, I'll be forgiven after the number of stash photos I've shown above ^.^
This is the first time a project from my original WiPocalypse list has made an appearance. Poor Lilliput Village hasn't seen daylight for over a year. Wish me luck that I'll be able to complete a significant amount of it this year.
Last but not least, to all mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day!

32 comments:

Mouse said...

well I have drooled over your silks .. ooood and aaaahd over your fabric .... and mmmmmm I could think of something to stitch on that aqua ..lol
good luck with the wip :)
have a happy Sunday stitching :) love mouse xxxxx

Chris said...

Wow! What lovely stash. The colors of the floss and fabrics are wonderful.
I hope that your mojo returns soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica

Your stash is brilliant, lovely silks and fabrics. I hope your desire to stitch comes back soon.

I have experienced problems with ordering hand dyed fabrics. When it came I was so disappointed it was nothing like the picture.
Love your Lilliput Lane project -good luck on finishing it.

ricketyjo said...

Oh wow, your stash! So pretty! I hope you get your stitching mojo back soon! :)

Margaret said...

Oh what a yummy post!!! I love how you're storing your HDF silks -- and they're so pretty all together too! Your fabric collection is wonderful too! Thanks for the gripe about Needleworker's Delight. I hadn't tried ordering any fabrics from them since the switchover -- now I know not to bother. I love your WIP! It's so pretty! I hope you get a lot more done on it. Happy Mother's Day!

butterfly said...

Wow Veronica , I thought I was a bad girl , you have some wonderful stash, good for you .Love your WIP looking very pretty.

Rhona said...

Oooh, what wonderful stash! Hope your mojo returns soon.

Catherine said...

Oohhhh....such pretty colors! Great stash, although it is a bummer about the lack of variation in your fabric and the size!

Anne said...

Um, I just drooled into my coffee cup!! LOL!! Wow! Seriously wow!!! I love all those HDF silks! It's like a really nice, big colouring box. Mmm, those linens!! I had to laugh, sorry, about the colour and size discrepancies from Silkweaver. Seriously?! Do they not know how to measure? I'm loving your Lilliput Village!!! I have two of their house figurines and I love them!!!

Hugs

Anne

Julie said...

Yummy stash!

lesli said...

I'm just drooling over your stash! I LOVE all of it! :) I bet you could spend days just looking over everything you have and loving every moment of it!

Kathy A. said...

What wonderful lovely, colors. A feast for the eyes.
Glad to see a WIPopalypse piece has appeared. Will cheer you on as you stitch on it.!

Ellen said...

Wonderful stash, really love the silk threads and fabrics!

Hope your mojo returns soon!

Hugs,

Carol said...

Oh, you lucky, lucky girl-- to have all those HDF silks would be a dream come true!!

valerie said...

Love the stash pics! I'm a stashaholic too. The hand dyed linens are beautiful!

Giovanna said...

Your stash is amazing! Nice going on the cottage.

Tatkis said...

Wow! So many treasures! Those ribbons are adorable and your linen collection is impressive!!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Thoeria said...

Oh you have an absolutely drool-worthy collection of stash! Thanks for the silk weaver heads up! I've been playing with the idea of getting from them but just wasn't WOWED, so glad that I never did!

Lynn said...

OK, now I've finished drooling over your lovely silks! Gorgeous colours!!
Love all your fabric too. Like you, most of my Silkweaver fabric had been obtained before the change in ownership. I have heard so many stories about poor service and quality now that I won't be buying from them. I have more than enough of the old stash to last for some time.

Penny said...

Beautiful threads and linens! I had some problems with Silkweaver fabrics even before the switch over. Lilliput Village is sweet! :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

That's a colourful and impressive collection of HDF's!

Lots of lovely fabrics!

♥ Nia said...

Woooowww!! So many fabrics!!! And such pretty colors.. a delight to my little eyes!! =)
Lucky girl!! :D

dulcinella said...

That is some linen collection! If you ever feel a bit down, just take all your floss and linens, look at them and you'll start to feel great rightaway.
Thanks for telling about the silkweaver problems. I have been thinking about joining a FOTM club, but cannot really decide on one, so that is one less to consider.
I'm curious to see your progress on the lilliput village! Happy stitching

Barbi said...

I do the same thing! When I can't stitch, I buy stitching supplies! I have become a bit of a fabric whore and have been scouring the internet looking for different hand-dyes and ordering up a storm!

Meari said...

Do you store your HDF alphabetically or by color? I like the new case you have them in. I only have a few on spools. The rest are on those tag things Vicki used to send them on.

Wow, I'm envious of all your fabrics. I'd be griping about the Silkweavers, too. Thanks for the heads-up on the quality. I haven't ordered from them in a long time. I know not to now, lol.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Hi, returning the following!
I love your stash collection, the fabrics are so beautiful.
I notice that you have some Polstitches but no Sparklies or Crafty Kitten (2 other UK hand-dyers). You really must add some of their lush fabrics to your collection! The service is excellent too.

Mel said...

ugh, the Silkweaver fabrics just make me sick. :(
So disappointing for sure. Thx for sharing it though and letting others know so that we don't make the same mistake.

Your stash is just gorgeous, hopefully you get that mojo back soon!

Melanie said...

WOW.
I'm majorly in awe of all the awesome stuff and colors here!!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely selection of fabrics, it's good to have such a varied choice. Your Lilliput design is very pretty.

Lucy said...

Your enabling us, you know....now I have to go out and buy something! LOL

Parsley said...

I think you have many of us dizzy from excitment! What lovely stash items!

Oh, wanted to tell you I've opened my old blog. I'd love to have you there. You know me as Autumn too ;-)

Ewa said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Your stash makes ME happy! Where does one sign up for a fabric of the month club and how much does it cost? I might be interested in joining one someday :)