Followers

24 April 2006

Bunny for Mum

I know those from the UK have already celebrated Mother's Day but here in Malaysia, we celebrate it on the second Sunday of May each year which would fall on 14 May this year to be exact. So, finally here's something non round robin related: Ellen Maurer-Stroh's "First Flowers for You" freebie which I chosed to stitch for my mum this year. It's stitched on Zweigart's 16 count Rustico Aida which I thought would set off the white nicely. Am pretty pleased with the results. I added in the words to make it more appropriate for the occassion. I designed the lower case letters, trying to make it look like a small kid's scrawl, thus emphasizing the more intricate upper case letters. Not sure if I managed to achieve the effect though. Now I just need to send it to the framers. I'm early I know but knowing me, I'll probably need the extra weeks.
 
Anyway, you must be wondering, there's no lack of Mother's Day patterns out there so why this one? My question back to you is, why not? Nah, just being cheeky there :p The reason behind it is I think my mum would like it, being born in the Chinese year of the Rabbit. Also, not only do I think the bunny is cute, I think it's rather sweet that it's presenting us with a couple of snowdrops which judging by the pattern's name (since Malaysia is a tropical country and there's no four seasons here), snowdrops are one of the first flowers of spring, which is a time for new life, new beginnings. As my mum is the one who brought me into this world... I'm sure you get where I'm going with this now.
Well, I'm getting too philosophical here and at the risk of boring you so I'll say no more. To those of you who would like to download this pattern, please visit EMS Cross Stitch Board where you'll find tons more great freebies. However, you'll need to register before you're allowed to log in. Man, I sound like a PR here. Oh well, I love her designs and I think she's a wonderful and generous lady.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

Ooooooooh, that's lovely! Zuode henhao! Zhuhe ni!=)

Elisabeth=)
aka Bao Lisha!

Selina said...

wow, it's very beautiful and turned out great :) Congrates.

CraftyPretender said...

very nice! lucky mom!

Carto said...

Hi Veronica!

Aww what a cute bunny! Also I like the mottled effect of the fabric, which gives all the other colours much better definition - better than stitching it on plain white or cream fabric. Good Job! :)x

Unknown said...

What an original mothers day card! It´s really cute too!

Meari said...

I'm sure your Mom will love it, Veronica. The bunny is so cute!

Shanny Khoo said...

Dear Veronica,
The bunny is so... cute! I think your mum will love it so much!

Leeland said...

The reasons why you chose this design are everything but boring, Veronica! It is a most thoughtful gift and I hope you tell your mom all the things that made you choose it as it is very touching!
It is lovely and your mom will treasure it!
Lots of hugs!

Chiara said...

Your bunny is lovely!!! I'm sure your mum will love it very much!!! Also in Italy mother day is the 14 may...I have to start stitching something for my mum...